I suggest you ...

Censorship

As an artist, art student, and art educator I am whole-heartedly against censorship in art. The parents of my students, however, are not. I love love love to use this website as a tool in my classroom, unfortunately it is now blocked in my school system because of nudes. I know it's asking a lot of tagging and programming. but this website is such a great academic resource and it breaks my heart that all of my students are losing it without an option to sensor nudity or violence.

34 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Devan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Igor Ginzburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like Devan's idea, I think it deserves attention. As I see it, it is not about creating another, "safe" version of the site - it is rather about giving an opportunity to art schools, kids, and parents to create a "safe" account. If properly implemented, this idea will bring this site many new thankful users.

• Hilary L McLean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@WikiArt Team It isn't about hurting someone's feelings, it's about us art educators not losing our jobs. Your website is beautiful, shame that thousands of art teachers can't use it with students. I can't believe you think it would result in just still lives and landscapes.

• Devan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@WikiArt Team: I would never ask for you to remove those artworks, rather that you could create an account option (like a filter) to not show those images if it was switched on. Something to allow students to browse the site at their leisure without seeing nude or more violent pieces. Kind of like how Google SafeSearch works.

@Stranger: This would be a good idea as well. It's not blocked on teacher computers, but at least for me it would impractical to use it in that way. For certain examples, this method would be fine. But for some research assignments it would be near impossible to complete.

• Stranger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also you can ask your local administrators to unblock site on your personal computer. Then create your own collections without nudity or violence and show it to your students on projector or something like that

• AdminWikiArt Team (Admin, WikiPaintings.org) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At present we are blocking images of "nu genre" from the first page. As for creating nu-less version of the site, we are strongly against it. We respect decision of your school to block our site, but we will not corroborate it. If we close access to all content that may harm someone's feelings, we'll be left with landscapes and stillives solely.

Feedback and Knowledge Base